logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Overview map for Africa

From Felix Hartmann extremecarver at gmail.com on Mon Mar 25 13:50:18 GMT 2013

It means, resolutions below 18 are great, but in a separate overview
map, not part of the normal *.img files.

Even better would be, if we could create the overview map in advance -
maybe not even based on OSM material. There should be very simple
overview maps - (first level - sea/land - maybe some major cities, only
useful for continent maps, or country maps of Canada, Russia, China, and
other huge countries, second level - add all capitals, add country
borders, third level - add motorways, add cities with population >1 Mio
(depending on the country). This could save processing time I imagine -
by having the overview map, or at least the data used for it prebuilt,
like the bounds and the sea files.

If we add a lower resolution to the main branch now, it should clearly
only be an intermediary step to real overview maps. Overview maps are
not transferred to Garmin GPS units, as they come with a preloaded world
map, which offers decent performance when zooming out. If on the other
hand we create maps with resolution 12 or 14, and no overview map, we
make the GPS units painfully slow when zooming out and rely on the
caching mechanism of Basecamp/Mapsource in order to get any kind of
performance on the desktop (e.g. open a map of Asia, and grab a coffee
until you can pan around well...).