logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Overview map for Africa

From Felix Hartmann extremecarver at gmail.com on Mon Mar 25 08:59:21 GMT 2013

No, definitely not. There should rather be work on a real overview map.
There is a branch for it, but it lacks it's own style.
We will need a separate style for the overview map. This will greatly
help overview in Basecamp/Mapsource/Qlankdarte GT. On the device any map
lower than resolution 18, is bad, because the background map is much
better and 16 or 14 (speed!). If the map goes down to 14 or 16, than too
many tiles have to be opened, in order to draw it, hence a hefty
slowdown. Same on desktop. A multi-level overview map - say 12,14,16 is
what we really need.

There is a good description about overview maps also here:
www.*maptk*.dnsalias.com/*MapTk*/*MapTk*_en.pdf
-- scroll to page 20.

On 25.03.2013 09:31, GerdP wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> while testing the latest patches I found something strange:
> I created a map for Africa with default style using
> java -Xmx6000m -jar mkgmap.jar --max-jobs --nsis
> --precomp-sea=f:\osm\sea_20130308.zip
> -c template.args
>
> When I open this map in Basecamp I just see white rectangle. I have to zoom
> in multiple times to see
> anything. Wouldn't it be better to change the default so that we display at
> least the boundaries off continents on very low resolutions?
>
> Ciao,
> Gerd
>

> --

keep on biking and discovering new trails

Felix
openmtbmap.org & www.velomap.org