logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] unicode

From Robert Joop 8500547528183gmap at rainbow.in-berlin.de on Fri Mar 1 00:09:29 GMT 2013

On 13-02-28 16:38:51 CET, Steve Ratcliffe wrote:
> With that change your patch seems to work, I did a little test
> with your test string on my Etrex 30 and it turns out that it
> was supported.
>
> I'll commit your patch with the added null transliterator.

Isn’t my patch utterly incomplete?
First I hacked around in the srt before I noticed that the code did
not get called at all for my test map, I suspect because it hasn’t
got any index?
Then I went at the labelenc and did not bother about the srt for the test.

> Do you think from your research that it is likely that any
> device that supports unicode maps, will also support lower case?
> If so then we can also set that by default.

My research…

Concerning the use of actual devices:
I tested it on my new device which is probably about as new as your
Etrex 30.
And my old GPSmap 60CSx doesn’t even support any 12xx codepage other
than 1252.
So this research has a coverage of a single device. ;-)

But my web search turned up that unicode maps seem to be supported on
many nüvi devices, but not older ones.
Perhaps somebody with a nüvi can contribute test results.

On the Garmin web site, I couldn’t find them distinguishing City
Navigator Europe NT and NTU, which I’ve read about elsewhere.
But I found one NTU map on their site, Pan-Africa:
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=117106
Its long list of compatible devices includes yours, mine, other recent
ones like Dakota, GPSmap 62, Oregon and a looong list of nüvis.

I’d say if somebody with a nüvi from this list confirms lower-case to be
working we should assume that all unicode map supporting devices do.
Hey, lower-case is even half working on older devices, for POIs,
unfortunately not for streets.

rj