logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] city of riga not found

From Steve Ratcliffe steve at parabola.me.uk on Thu Feb 28 21:30:43 GMT 2013

On 28/02/13 19:01, Rich wrote:
> On 2013-02-14 14:01, Minko wrote:
>> Rich, on OSM I see name = Rīga with an accent on the i
>> http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/26707967
>> Maybe therefore it will not recognize Riga. If you compile your maps with name:en before name it will find it?
>> --name-tag-list=name:en,int_name,name
>
> i didn't try that yet, but all place names are converted to ascii
> anyway. for example, searching for "meza" does find "Mežaparks".
>
> i just tried the map from http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/ , and i can
> not find riga on it either...

What, exactly, do you mean by it not recognizing Riga?

I downloaded the two tiles around Riga from garmin.openstreetmap.nl.

The city itself was easily found.

What does happen is if you search for a street eg "Elizabetes
Iela" it is classed as being in the city of "Centrs" in the region
"Riga". Likewise if you try to enter riga in the city field of the
address search it is not found there.

If that is what you mean, then it is probably that the wrong admin
level is selected when creating the boundary files, so the streets
are being allocated to suburbs/disticts rather than the city itself.
Since Riga is a capital city it may be an exception to the normal case.

..Steve