logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] character repertoires

From Robert Joop 8500547528183gmap at rainbow.in-berlin.de on Thu Feb 28 01:05:58 GMT 2013

On 13-02-26 14:19:28 CET, Steve Ratcliffe wrote:
> happens now.  The low level CharsetEncoder in java can be set to
> replace unmappable characters with a '?' (as now) or to return
> on finding an unmappable character. The character can be
> transliterated to the ascii range and then loop back to
> the Encoder. Its all just array lookups so quicker than it sounds!

With unicode maps (I just got a tiny example working, see the “unicode”
thread), there is another problem:
Since all characters are mappable, no transliteration would take place.
But what would be desirable is to base the decision whether to
transliterate on whether the target device has the characters in its
repertoire (since the device simply shows nothing at all for characters
outside its repertoire).
For my device this means:
Latin, Arabic, Cyrillic, Greek -> map
Hebrew and many other -> transliterate

More array lookups…
But the contents for these arrays would need researching…

rj