logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] character repertoires

From Robert Joop 8500547528183gmap at rainbow.in-berlin.de on Tue Feb 26 22:10:28 GMT 2013

On 13-02-26 14:29:43 CET, Steve Ratcliffe wrote:

> Hi
>
> > Given these results, I’d like to ask you to reconsider your proposed
> > action to remove the --lower-case option and code.
> > http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mkgmap/dev/option-review
>
> Yes, you are right it should remain. I've just had to explain
> so many times why it doesn't work on the Legend era devices that
> I've got a thing against it!

Isn’t --lower-case a little bit of a misnomer, as it actually does not
lower-case but inhibits the upper-casing?

Perhaps these three options would be adequate:
* Absence of option upper-cases everything. This is the most safe default
  to get maps that work on all devices, I assume.
* --upper-case-streets option provides working maps on older devices
  like the GPSmap 60CSx but with the nicer mixed-case POI names.
  Could this be the default or are there devices that do not support
  mixed case POI names?
* --keep-case option for recent devices. This is --lower-case renamed.

rj