logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] character repertoires

From Steve Ratcliffe steve at parabola.me.uk on Tue Feb 26 13:19:28 GMT 2013

Hi

> I wonder how to improve the algorithm without making it much more CPU
> intensive.

> Does Java offer a fast code page mapability lookup?

I think the way I outlined would be no less efficient that what
happens now.  The low level CharsetEncoder in java can be set to
replace unmappable characters with a '?' (as now) or to return
on finding an unmappable character. The character can be
transliterated to the ascii range and then loop back to
the Encoder. Its all just array lookups so quicker than it sounds!

..Steve