logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] character repertoires

From Steve Ratcliffe steve at parabola.me.uk on Tue Feb 19 21:04:14 GMT 2013

Hi

On 13/02/13 20:04, Robert Joop wrote:
> There is support for a number of character sets in mkgmap, but do we have
> any collected wisdom about what character repertoires are supported on
> our devices?
> While at the hack weekend, I tried some latin2 on my new device and was
> pleasantly surprised that “šř” appeared in a street name – on my old
> GPSmap 60CSx with the very same gmapsupp.img, I see them as what looks
> like “.Ø” on the map and “◊Ø” in the tooltip when hovering over it.

I hoped someone would reply with a detailed answer!  I'm not an expert
on the different devices.  I am sure that the 'old' devices such as the
Legend Cx and ones of that era, only supported the one character set.
There may have been different versions sold in different regions with
different character sets. But the standard European one was code-page
1252 of course.

Newer devices seem to support a number of character sets. I have
verified that my Nuvi 1490 can do Arabic script (code page 1256)
for example. I would guess that it includes many/all of the western
European from Greek to Cyrillic.

I believe it is still true that only devices sold in Asia are capable of
Chinese/Japanese etc. characters - although you can download replacement
firmware that includes them from Garmin.

But I'd be glad to be corrected by someone who has tried it all out.

..Steve