logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Long distance routing

From Steve Ratcliffe steve at parabola.me.uk on Sat Feb 9 21:01:38 GMT 2013

Hi

I was wondering what the current state of long distance routes was
thought to be? Although there are comments on the wiki etc that
routing only works over a couple of tiles, I see far better results
although it depends on the software.

In particular with MapSource 6.10 it is almost impossible to route
over the SW corner of a tile. In other words if the obvious route
enters the tile from the south side, and exits on the west side (or
visa versa), it will always pick a route that goes round the tile
instead rather than through it - or crash or straight-line if there is
no such route.  Although I've seen this happen when routing across
other corners, not often - it almost always works.

However on the latest version of mapsource/basecamp this problem
has entirely disappeared. So either it was a mapsource bug (unlikely?)
or whatever we were doing wrong no longer matters.

..Steve