logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] coastline

From Thorsten Kukuk kukuk at suse.de on Fri Jan 25 13:08:01 GMT 2013

On Fri, Jan 25, RheinSkipper wrote:

> > Creating them is really simple, but getting the tools installed and
> running isn't
> > trivial :(
> >
> > If you use a 64bit Linux system, I can give you a pointer to my RPMs for
> this.
> >

> Can precompiled sea be created fully automatically, or is it necessary to
> tweak broken coastlines manually?

If there are no errors in the coastlines, it can be done fully
automatically. If there are errors, you have to fix them first
in the OSM database and retry the process.

> I have access to a system running Red Hat Linux 64 bit. But I have no root
> access and there is not much installed on the system, only java. And I have
> not much experience using Linux. But it may be worth a try. If the process
> can be made fully automatic, I could provide precompiled sea on a regular
> schedule.

You need to install quite sime C, C++ and java libraries and binaries.
So without root access, it will be difficult, because you have to
recompile everything and install it in your home directory.

The process is in short:

- get current planet file or update your local copy
- osmcoastline -i -f -p land -o coastline.db  planetfile.osm.pbf
  (if return value is 0 or 1, continue, else abort and fix the errors first)
- ogr2ogr -f "ESRI Shapefile" land_polygons.shp coastline.db land_polygons
- mkgmap_sea_generator land_polygons.shp WGS84 sea-$NEXT
  (mkgmap_sea_generator is a script calling the mkgmap java function)

sea-$NEXT contains now the new precomp sea data.

This tooks about 1-1.5 hours, depending on your machine.

  Thorsten