logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Question reg. precompiled bounds

From WanMil wmgcnfg at web.de on Thu Jan 17 19:12:33 GMT 2013

> Hi WanMil,
>
> I am picking up some lose ends...

Great :-)

> I tried the combination of both programs with europe.osm.pbf dated
> 2013-01-12:
> osmconvert --drop-version europe.osm.pbf -o=europe.o5m
> osmfilter osmfilter europe.o5m --keep-nodes=
> --keep-ways-relations="boundary=administrative =postal_code
> postal_code=" -o=europe-boundaries.o5m
> osmconvert.exe --fake-version europe-boundaries.o5m
> -o=europe-boundaries.osm.pbf
>
> osmosis.bat --read-pbf file=europe-boundaries.osm.pbf outPipe.0=data1
> --read-pbf file=europe-boundaries.osm.pbf outPipe.0=data2 --tag-filter
> accept-relations boundary=administrative,postal_code inPipe.0=data1
> outPipe.0=6 --used-way inPipe.0=6 outPipe.0=7 --tag-filter
> reject-relations inPipe.0=data2 outPipe.0=8 --tag-filter accept-ways
> boundary=administrative,postal_code inPipe.0=8 outPipe.0=9 --used-node
> inPipe.0=9 outPipe.0=10 --used-node inPipe.0=7 outPipe.0=11 --merge
> inPipe.0=10 inPipe.1=11 outPipe.0=12 --write-pbf
> file=europe-boundaries2.osm.pbf omitmetadata=true compress=deflate
> inPipe.0=12
>
> osmconvert.exe europe-boundaries2.osm.pbf -o=eb2.o5m
> osmconvert --diff eb2.o5m europe-boundaries.o5m > db.osm
>
> I think the osmosis command drops too much data, for example this relation
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/relation/1610919
> is missing in the output of osmosis.

I agree.

> Maybe we should also change mkgmap, for example it ignores this relation
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/relation/1598874
> which is written by osmfilter, but not by osmosis.

I disagree. I think I have seen areas located within boundary=political
and boundary=administrative. How do you want to decide which one is the
right one?

We've also been asked to support place=* polygons. But I don't see that
mkgmap should support a broad variety of tagging schemes. By supporting
them we also encourage people to use different tagging schemes. OSM must
find a tagging scheme that enables mkgmap and other "address finders" to
assign valid fields for address search.

At the moment the most common schema is boundary=administrative.

> On the other hand, it doesn't ignore buildings like this:
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/relation/1569568
> which is only written by osmfilter.

I think it is ok to use all polygons with postal_code=*. But we should
merge polygons with the same postal_code in the boundary preprocessor.

> I've also created the bounds for each of the files.
> - europe-boundaries.o5m gives  *.bnd files with 418.495.744 bytes
> eb2.o5m gives 412.499.832 bytes

Of course you can. We could also try to improve the osmosis filtering.

WanMil