logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Why do we have the "Area too small to split at ..." message

From GerdP gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Tue Jan 15 12:38:08 GMT 2013

Felix Hartmann-2 wrote
> but the proposal is IMHO much better - but please as info and not as
> warning. (Warnings should be buffer overruns, tiles failing to compile
> due to various reasons, out of memory, and such grave errors).

I worked for 15 years on IBM mainframe systems (z/OS) coding batch programs.
On z/OS, it is common to use return codes 0,4,8,12, and 16.
My company use them like this
0 means everything ok
4 means their are warning messages, but the result is probably correct
8 means their are errors in the input data, and maybe output data is
incomplete or wrong.
12 means a configuration problem (e.g. missing parameters) or missing
licence key
16 means severe error, program can't continue (something like Out of memory)

Some operators asked us to implement parameters to set rc=0 even if there
were errors, because rc=0 means they did a good work ;-)
I think an error should produce an error message, but the message should be
clear enough
so that the user can decide what to do.

Ciao,