logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Option review

From Steve Ratcliffe steve at parabola.me.uk on Sat Jan 5 22:17:48 GMT 2013

Hi

Thanks to everyone who commented on the options issue. I also went
back and read the thread started by Felix in 2010. Yes 2010, so it is
time to do something.

I am giving Greg's statement that currently "ignoring options does not
lead to
success" a lot of weight in deciding what to do.

Many of our options are really input data that have to be options
because the input file does not contain them. Compare with the Polish
format which does in fact include several of our options (FID,
CountryName etc) in its data. These options generally don't cause
confusion or bugs and so are mostly harmless even if there are quite a
few of them.

So I will concentrate on "true" options that cause mkgmap to operate
in different ways or produce different outputs.

In the next days or weeks I am going to do the following.

1. Create a way of setting the default value of an option in the
options help file. The help will then always be up to date with the
actual default value.

2. Move options that already have a default value (eg description is
"OSM street map") from code to the help file.

3. Create a way to mark an option as obsolete with a reason. So a
warning can be printed for options that are being removed or having
their names changed and what you can do instead.

4. Implement a --warnings option, so that the warning-type options can
be migrated there.

5. Expand the list of options that can be given in the "options" file
of a style to include all data input options.

This is the preliminary list of changes to be made, last chance for
comments!

Options to be defaulted
-----------------------

add-pois-to-areas
code-page=1252
generate-sea=sectors,close-gaps=6000
ignore-maxspeeds
location-autofill=is_in
min-size-polygon
nsis
preserve-element-order
process-destination
reduce-point-density=5
route
tdbfile

Options to be removed
---------------------
Some of these involve a good amount of code removal too.

block-size
charset
ignore-builtin-relations
ignore-osm-bounds
lower-case
make-all-cycleways
make-cycleways
make-poi-index
map-features
max-flare-length-ratio
net
no-poi-address
road-name-pois
tdb-v3
latin1

Options to change name
----------------------

gmapsupp --> gps
keep-going --> ignore-errors

Options to become --warnings sub-options
-------------------------------------
check-roundabout-flares
check-roundabouts
report-dead-ends
report-similar-arcs

Options allowed in style 'options' file
---------------------------------------

Start off with the list from Geoff, excluding ones that are already
allowed and removing ones that will be removed anyway.
Probably more to add.

mapname=name
description=text
country-name=name