logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] splitter r273 with --precomp-sea parameter

From Gerd Petermann gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Thu Dec 27 17:50:50 GMT 2012

Hi WanMil,
> I haven't tried yet but it seems to be a good idea.
>
> Why is the sea density map and the usual density map merged before
> trimming occurs? My uneducated guess is that it is better to merge after
> trimming because the areas that could be trimmed should not be left in
> the tiles only by having some coastline parts.
Trimming occurs after the calculation of the tiles, so it would be difficult to
use the data at this stage. I did not fully understand why coastline data is
added to an otherwise empty area, so I thought it is better to start with something
and ask for comments.

> Wouldn't it be better if the sea density map is delivered with splitter?
> It won't change very much over time and I guess a 90% correct density
> map would be sufficient. This makes it easier and probably quicker
> because you don't have to give a path to the precompiled sea files...

Well, good point. I didn't notice that we are talking about more or less constant
data. Anyway, this optimization can be done when the usage of the data is
correct.