logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] splitter "fine tuning"

From Felix Hartmann extremecarver at gmail.com on Wed Dec 19 16:20:37 GMT 2012

On 19.12.2012 17:15, GerdP wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> some time ago we discussed whether splitter could somehow exchange
> information with mkgmap. I think the idea was that mkgmap
> (or the style system) can remove many or all nodes from a tile
> which leads to problems.
> I assume this problem is solved with the new split algorithm?
> If not: Splitter writes the file densities-out.txt, which contains the
> node counters. It can also read that file, and it would not be very
> difficult
> to manipulate the counters somehow.
yes, I didn't actually check it on the device, but the tiles in France
are now never empty, so I think it's highly unlikely to run into the bug
again (only if people added loads of open sea map data).

> I stll see one option to improve splitter throughput:
> Before reading any osm file, mkgmap creates a list of all tag keys
> which are needed (hard coded keys and those from the style files).
> All other tags are simply ignored when reading OSM data to save memory.
> If we would give this list to splitter we could probably save a lot of
> processing time when splitter ignores these tags as well.
> On the other hand, you have to execute splitter again
> if you change a style.
>
> What do you think?
>
> Gerd
I think that sounds very cool as an option. It could be switched off if
you play a lot - but then in generall, splitter is much faster than
mkgmap anyhow, so it's rather seldom that it would matter to me...

> --

keep on biking and discovering new trails

Felix
openmtbmap.org & www.velomap.org