logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Options

From Felix Hartmann extremecarver at gmail.com on Mon Dec 10 14:30:57 GMT 2012

well the current behaviour is, that road_speed=* is not set fix at all.
It is only used if maxspeed is not found. That concept is clearly
flawed. So your proposal would be to keep that concept, but change it to
a line like the following:

a) highway=motorway [0x01 road_class=4 road_speed=6 road_speed_max=6
resolution=16] If you want mkgmap to only decrease the road_speed based
on maxspeed.

b) highway=primary [0x03 road_class=3 road_speed=4 road_speed_max=4
road_speed_min=4 resolution 18] in order to stop mkgmap from processing
the max-speed.

whereas c) highway=primary [0x03 road_class=3 road_speed=4
road_speed_max=7 road_speed_min=0 resolution 18] (current mkgmap
behaviour) is not what most people want.

I think currently it is pretty clumsy (asumming it works as writen above.

I thought road_speed_max and road_speed_min are only working inside the
{action part} ... or do you mean that if I want mkgmap to stay clear
from fiddling around I should write:

d) highway=primary {road_speed_max=4 road_speed_min=4}  [0x03
road_class=3 road_speed=4 resolution 18]   --- (leaving out road_speed
shouldn't be allowed, as there needs to be a way to even if a max and
min speed is set previously, to make the street not routable at all, by
omitting road_class and road_speed)

I still think that mkgmap should never increase the road_speed based on
maxspeed by default. It should however use maxspeed as upper limit for
the road_speed, and that an automatic behaviour as in a) or d) is to be
expected, while c) could be set via style-file if you want maxspeed to
take precedence.

The current treatment of mkgmap:road_speed=+1 is definitely not optimal,
I have documented that a while ago on the mailinglist. It does not work
for all circumstances. There can be outcomes that are not intended.

--
keep on biking and discovering new trails

Felix
openmtbmap.org & www.velomap.org