logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Options

From Geoff Sherlock geoffrey_sherlock at btinternet.com on Sat Dec 8 16:18:20 GMT 2012

Here are my thoughts:

-n name, --mapname=name
--description=text
--country-name=name
--country-abbr=abbreviation
--region-name=name
--region-abbr=abbreviation
--latin1, --code-page=number
--levels=levels code
--family-id
--family-name
--product-id
--product-version
--series-name
--area-name
--overview-mapname=name
--overview-mapnumber=8 digit number
--drive-on-left, --drive-on-right

The above could all be set in the style files. In the case of family-id and
product-id I would like these to override that given in the TYP file if
possible as that would mean a generic TYP file could be used. But I guess
the TYP file is not parsed by mkgmap so perhaps the TYP file location/name
could be set here instead. Most styles have a country/region section in the
points file and they can be set in there dependent on the country. Or
possibly the info file, again depending on the country if that can be seen
in the info style section.

--copyright-message=note
--license-file=file

These can be set in the info style file as they rarely change anyway.

I agree with most of what else you put on the web page, but I am far from
expert on the matter; except I think the default character set should remain
the same as it does make an effort to convert otherwise unprintable
characters into something readable.

Geoff