logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Options

From Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com on Thu Dec 6 23:42:19 GMT 2012

Thanks for putting time into the options issue.

As one of the "too many" complainers, my issue was not so much that
there were a lot of options, but that the typical new person's strategy
of ignoring them all did not lead to success.   What you're doing
addresses that point, and also reduces unneeded options.

From reading the option-review page, my comments as a fairly experienced
user who is NOT a mkgmap developer (omitting all where I concur):

-gmapsupp:
  It seems that there is always output a bunch of img tiles and a tdb,
  and this is either usable in mapsource, or convertable to gmapi
  format.  And one can produce a gmapsupp.img.  So perhaps integrate
  gmapibuilder and
    --output=device,tiles,gmapi
  which selects one or more of the output formats.  And if no option is
  given, you get all three (which is easy to cope with via rm).  I don't
  like output==desktop since that really seems to mean for mapsource,
  but of course the actual name doesn't matter.

--levels:
  I agree this belongs in the style file, perhaps as a new file levels
  to go with points/etc.

  I vote for default on, and people can --no-index if they need to.

--check-foo:
  replace with --warnings/--nowarnings, defaulting to warnings.  Put in
  some output warning file, with a prefix by warning type for grep.
  Don't worry about enabling/disabling them individually.

style files should be able to reference a TYP which is associated with
the style.  Perhaps the user can override, but it seems that styles/TYP
really are linked.

Things I don't understand and thus am not commenting on:
  location-autofill/etc.
  precompiled sea