logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] address index question

From Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl on Sun Dec 2 12:06:04 GMT 2012

i agree that the usage of pre-compiled bounds could be clearer,
especially to "outsiders" who don't/can't read whole threads in the
archives and distill their conclusions from there...

How do I use mkgmap to make a perfectly up-to-date map, including a
similarly up-to-date index? One "obvious" way is to simply use the
downloaded pbf file, without pre-compiled bounds. The pre-compiled
bounds which are available for download are updated rather infrequently,
and I have been doing a lot of work on boundaries recently. Do I *have*
to create my own bounds files from the downloaded PBF and then use them
as "pre-compiled"? Is using "pre-compiled bounds" merely a performance
enhancement, or is there a functional difference between the maps
obtained with and without their usage?

I can imagine similar questions arise about the use of pre-compiled sea.

Colin