logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] address index question

From Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com on Sun Dec 2 00:41:21 GMT 2012

  >      --check-roundabouts \
  R 1 (and 7?) just do it and remove option.

For the check options, I think there's a tradeoff between useful
debugging and noise.  So I wonder if by default there should be a file
written (with a name derived from something) that has all the warnings,
with each type having a unique first word, so one can grep out the ones
one wants.  Then they can perhaps just be on, maybe with a single option
"--no-check" to skip the output.   I don't see a lot of value in
fine-grained warnings; getting the warnings that are the current
consensus seems like the right thing, and I don't see a machine that is
big enough to run mkgmap having trouble with the warnings file.

  >      --add-pois-to-areas \
  R 8. But could be considered to be just making it work in the Garmin
  format. Are there any downsides?

The only downside is that if there is a node and an area, then you get
two, but one could say that there are two in the source data, so that's
ok.   I think it belongs on, because otherwise POI-type things
represented as areas vanish, index or not.

  5 and 6. I'd be inclined not to make it the default

I don't understand if the index code is stable enough, but I thought
that generally people should want this.   If that's off, though, it
makes sense to default to off until such time as it's stable.

Another usability comment is that I find the precompiled bounds
situation a bit confusing.  But maybe I haven't tried hard enough.