logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Inconsistent search function

From Steve Ratcliffe steve at parabola.me.uk on Wed Nov 14 22:41:31 GMT 2012

Hi

>> Mapsource and the devices do work very differently when it comes to
>> searching and it is possible that there is nothing that can be done
>> easily.
> I'm aware of such differences, but I had not faced a case like this one
> before, with missing countries (can't type Cuba on nuvi 300 address
> search, so no address can be found in this country) or no POI findable
> at all (nuvi 3760). On the HCx I've discovered that "La Bodeguita del
> Medio" is included in the list of nearest POI displayed by device and
> you can select it, although if you try to spell it, it doesn't appear.

I believe that the differences are related to the change in r2335.

That includes a change where if a POI does not have a city, but does
have a region, then a city without a name is created with the given
region.

These cities are not included in the index as seen by mapsource
because they don't have a name.  The device index is different, and so
the device can work out the region from the information in the img
file.

I might be able to fix the index, so that uses the region of
a city that has no name. But I wonder if I am missing something.
In the index you can attach a POI to either a city or a region
directly with a flag and it makes sense that you could do
that in the img file too.  I did check when the question came up,
because I had a bad feeling about cities with no name, but perhaps
I was was looking at street rather than POIs.

With maps created before r2335, are the POIs findable on both
mapsource and the device or missing on both?

..Steve