logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Inconsistent search function

From Carlos Dávila cdavilam at orangecorreo.es on Wed Nov 14 18:30:36 GMT 2012

El 12/11/12 16:41, Carlos Dávila escribió:
> El 12/11/12 11:36, Steve Ratcliffe escribió:
>
>> Hi
>>

>>> Any idea why these differences happen and how to fix them? Why some
>>> POI/Countries are not found?
>>>

>> I will have a look at your map and see if anything could be changed
>> to make it work better.
>>
>> Mapsource and the devices do work very differently when it comes to
>> searching and it is possible that there is nothing that can be done
>> easily.
>>
> I'm aware of such differences, but I had not faced a case like this one
> before, with missing countries (can't type Cuba on nuvi 300 address
> search, so no address can be found in this country) or no POI findable
> at all (nuvi 3760). On the HCx I've discovered that "La Bodeguita del
> Medio" is included in the list of nearest POI displayed by device and
> you can select it, although if you try to spell it, it doesn't appear.
> Yesterday I compiled a map with only Cuba in it [1] and a little part of
> Bahamas and even so, nuvi 300 is unable to use Cuba in the address
> search menu but can find addresses in Bahamas.
> [1] Cut from central-america extract from Geofabrik with ./osmconvert32
> central-america.osm.pbf -b=-85.075,19.25,-73.72,23.462 --out-osm
> -o=cuba.osm and compiled with java -Xmx1000M -ea -jar mkgmap.jar
> --gmapsupp --latin1 --code-page=1252 --country-name=CUBA
> --country-abbr=CUB --area-name="Cuba" --family-name="OpenStreetMap Cuba"
> --family-id=121 --product-id=1 --series-name="OSM-Cuba"
> --overview-mapname=55121000 --overview-mapnumber=55121000 --index
> --route ../mapas/pruebas/63240001.img typ/AME-121.TYP
I've had a chance to test both Central America and Cuba maps on a nuvi
1340 with similar result: it finds the POI's, but is unable to find
addresses in Cuba. I checked the information in the bounds files and
Cuba is correctly covered for admin_level 2 and 4, so it should appear
in the devices, as it does in MapSource. MapEdit also shows Cuba in the
list of countries.