logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Question regarding overlap in splitter and mkgmap

From GerdP gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Sun Oct 28 18:29:43 GMT 2012

Hi,

I am again working on an algorithm for splitter that detects all incomplete
ways and rels.
It works fine with input like finland.osm.pbf (~100MB) and -Xmx1000M, but it
probably would fail
to process europe on a 32bit machine.
Up to now, we use the overlap value to reduce the likelyhood of incomplete
ways and rels.
Now, I wonder what exactly splitter should do with a way that has only
points in this overlap.
To make it easier, let's assume that this way is not a member of a relation.
Is such a way used in mkgmap or is completely ignored?
If it is completely ignored, I think splitter should not to write it, else
it should try to
write it with all nodes.

In other words: If splitter could make sure that every way and relation that
a) has a node within the real bbox
b) may enclose the real bbox
c) may cross the real bbox
is written to the tile with all related elements (nodes of ways, members of
relations),
would we still need the overlap?
I remember an algorithm in mkgmap that searches the nearest city. Would this
algorithm "see"
a city that is in the overlap ?

ciao,