logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Problem with names of relations

From Roger Calvert roger at rogercalvert.me.uk on Mon Oct 1 17:36:16 BST 2012

On 30/09/2012 19:46, WanMil wrote:
> The mkgmap multipolygon algorithm removes all tags from the outer ways
> that are identical to tags of the relation. Therefore the tag name=High
> Dam is removed from the way 4798060. (By the way, tagging the
> multipolygon only with name is definitely wrong. Either add all tags or
> no tag to the mp). Removing tags from the outer ways is required to
> handle all mps where the tags are set on the map *and* on the ways.
> These are a lot (best example: all boundaries).
>
> I don't see a good alternative to this algorithm as long as the OSM
> datamodel does not ensure any multipolygon correctness.
>
> WanMil

WanMil,
Thanks for the explanation. It seems that this process is needed, at
least in part, to make sense of incorrectly tagged data. There certainly
will always be incorrectly tagged data, which programs such as mkgmap
and renderers will have to interpret. But is there any way that the
deleted tags could be retained in some form for access in the style
files? Perhaps they could be re-named along the lines of
'deleted:name=High Dam' .

Roger

Roger Calvert