logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Problem transferring maps from Mapsource

From Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com on Mon Sep 17 01:14:01 BST 2012

On Sep 16, 2012, at 0533 , Geoff Sherlock wrote:

> The simplest way to test if it is the same error is to try the --latin1 flag using the lastest (r2328) version of mkgmap. If this works then it will be the same problem I was getting; which Steve now has a fix for. Once it has been confirmed that the fix does not affect any other functionality it will be committed; and any future versions of mkgmap will no longer need the latin1 or code-page set.

I went back to svn trunk (r2328), and added --latin1.   I rebuilt (us-northeast extract, plus parcel data for my town).   MapInstall now permits selecting the tiles from the OSM build, and I'm sending a combination of those, contour lines, and proprietary data to an etrex vista HCx right now, which seems to be proceeding normally.

Thanks to you and Steve for figuring out and fixing this.

I read the documentation, and understand now that code-page is dependent on target device.  I wonder though if --latin1 should be default, if it's supported by most non-ancient devices.  (I do have a GPS V, but I haven't tried to build maps for it in a really long time!)