logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Style include files

From Steve Ratcliffe steve at parabola.me.uk on Wed Sep 5 15:06:52 BST 2012

Hi

> Last year, I wanted to divide the default style into modules. It would
> be easier to continue this with the style-include branch. Perhaps there
> could be a 'standard library' of files that all styles (including
> user-defined styles) could include?

A library is a good idea.

I don't think that including from other styles is a bad idea,
the question is just how do we do it.

If you are developing your own style then you can divide it
up into as many different files that you like and place them
all somewhere inside the style.

You might want to include a file from one of the built in styles but
then you would be relying on it not changing too much in an
incompatible way.  Having a library of style fragments as a built in
style might go a long way to make that more manageable.

So I'll ask another question: if there was a syntax

  include some-file from some-style

should the some-style be restricted to a library or any built in
style?  I am worried that --style-file and --style arguments already
cause some confusion.

..Steve