logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Feature request for Splitter

From Lambertus osm at na1400.info on Mon Aug 13 11:28:22 BST 2012

This is a request for a new Splitter method.

It would greatly speed-up my map generation if Splitter could use a
split-count parameter that tells Splitter to output N tiles instead of
having to manipulate the max-nodes and max-ways parameters to get the
required amount of split results.

Background:
My scripts initially split the world using a high max-nodes parameter in
order to create the tiles as large as possible.

When rendering of a split result fails (or the resulting Garmin image is
larger then 8MB) then Splitter is called with a decreasing amount of
max-nodes until the split action results in two or more tiles. For each
split action the max-nodes count is reduced with 100k nodes. For some
areas, like Paris in France, the initial tile is split about 15-16 times
before the result is successfully rendered and passes all tests.

This takes a lot of time while most sub-splits result in only a single
tile until the max-nodes is reduced from 1.400.000 to less then 100.000.
So the amount of split actions would be greatly reduced if Splitter
could simply be told to return 2 (or more) tiles.