logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] location-autofill=bounds uses a boundary not surrounding the POI

From WanMil wmgcnfg at web.de on Sat Aug 11 20:05:06 BST 2012

> On 11/08/12 11:49, WanMil wrote:
>> Yes, I did not bear in mind that the city name is completely empty.
>> Maybe this info is also helpful for Steve but I will also check the
>> mkgmap code what's happening with elements without a city name.
>
> That is what I think, if the city is empty then the closest city is used
> (MapBuilder.java:386). I checked with your Il Piacere restaurant example
> and that is what is happening.
>
> I got a different city than you, Aldrans rather than Natters.
>
> The city is in the img tile itself, and is not changed by the index.
>
> ..Steve

I agree.

I wonder if we should change the behaviour if no city name is found
should be changed:

1. Is it possible to have an empty city name? I think mkgmap users do
not expect that the nearest algorithm is used if city name could not be
assigned and location-autofill=nearest is not set. If the city name
could not be empty we could set a default city name.

2. The nearest algorithm uses city POIs only. At the time the algorithm
was implemented this was a reasonable choice. I would now change that to
use all POIs so that neighboured POIs with a city information could be
used to find the city name. In this case an addr:city tag of a
neighboured POI could also be used to set the city name of surrounding
POIs without city information. For backward compatibiilty we could add a
new location-autofill option for this.

What do you think?

WanMil