logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] location-autofill=bounds uses a boundary not surrounding the POI

From WanMil wmgcnfg at web.de on Sat Aug 11 11:49:26 BST 2012

Hi Bernhard,

> Hi WanMil,
>
> Thank you for your debug information.
> If the log file says that
>
> N 617233095 ;;;;;;Bezirk Innsbruck-Stadt;;Tirol;;AUT;;
> W 45987333 ;;;;;;Bezirk Innsbruck-Stadt;;Tirol;;AUT;;
>
> was assigned to that POI, then from my point of view mkgmap does what it
> is told to do. It looks like that mkgmap does not find any city name for
> the correcpsonding mkgmap:city tag since no administrative boundary is
> present in OSM data. Therefore it leaves the address field for the city
> name empty. The reason for displaying another city name instead of no
> one might be found in the address index format or in Garmin software
> respectively.

Yes, I did not bear in mind that the city name is completely empty.
Maybe this info is also helpful for Steve but I will also check the
mkgmap code what's happening with elements without a city name.

> However, the solution in my case will be to extend the style file by
> additional rules assigning any other name to the mkgmap:city tag if the
> desired one cannot be resolved. For example by obtaining the name of the
> administrative boundary with the next lower admin_level helps to
> overcome the 'random' city name effect in this case.
>
> mkgmap:country=AUT & mkgmap:city!=* & mkgmap:admin_level8=* { set
> mkgmap:city='${mkgmap:admin_level8}' }
> mkgmap:country=AUT & mkgmap:city!=* & mkgmap:admin_level6=* { set
> mkgmap:city='${mkgmap:admin_level6}' }
>
> The the rules in the mkgmap default style only redirects mkgmap to
> search for the next boundary with higher admin_level. But due to the
> fact that there is no boundary in the OSM data fitting to the rules, the
> observed effect occurs.

The default rules use admin levels 8,7,9 and 10 for the city name.
Please let me know if your second austrian rule with admin_level6 should
be included in the mkgmap default style. Anyhow we will check whats
happening if no city name is assigned.

WanMil