logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] access=permissive question

From Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com on Wed Aug 8 12:23:48 BST 2012

Minko <ligfietser at online.nl> writes:

> Chris wrote:
>> I think access=permissive is correctly mapped to access=yes in mkgmap.
>
> I have contacted the mapper but he doesn't agree with this.
>
> access=permissive means that the landowner gave his permission to access this footway.

> Footways are meant to access by foot only. So no access for all other vehicles.

So access=permissive on highway=footway is basically an error, unless it is a
walking path that isn't a public right of way, on which cars may drive
and people may walk.

>> So the way is open for every mode of transport, cars included.
>>
>> If cars are not permitted foot=permissive is the correct tagging.
>
> If I map this road to foot=permissive, mkgmap will block this road too:
>
> It will add access = no  but it can't add foot = yes because there is already a tag foot = permissive

That's a style file bug then.

In Garmin, there is no notion of permissive, so it makes sense to map
permissive to yes.

> Unless mkgmap doesnt set foot = permissive to foot = yes, Garmin doesnt know what to do and will block this for all traffic including pedestrians.
>
> So we are back to the discussion about bicycles from this topic:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/mkgmap-dev@lists.mkgmap.org.uk/msg10590.html

> I would suggest to set all vehicles access with permissive to yes, so
> bicycle=permissive > bicycle=yes
> foot=permissive > foot=yes
> motorcar, moped, motorbike,hgv etc same

sounds right

> except access=permissive > delete access

huh?   shouldn't access=foo map to
  for all modes bar, bar=foo

before the permissive to yes (and official to yes) mappings?

Is this controversial, or just a matter of getting the code to do the
right thing?