logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] creating garmin map layer from gpx tracks

From Andreas B. Mundt andi.mundt at web.de on Sun Aug 5 10:21:10 BST 2012

Hi,

I am trying to create a transparent garmin gmapsupp.img layer from gpx
tracks.  The idea is to merge this layer (it contains special cycle
routes) in the end with another gmapsupp.img containing the map.

I did the following:

Load all tracks in josm, convert to a data layer and tag the tracks
highway=cycleway.  Then save as paths.osm.

Use the command

    mkgmap --gmapsupp --transparent --remove-short-arcs --style-file=XXXX  paths.osm

to convert the data to a gmapsupp.img file.  As style file I use the
stuff that is used to create the map containing all other data.

However, the gmapsupp.img created from the tracks looks like empty if
loaded onto the GPS device, nothing shows up, as if the map covers no
area at all.

What's wrong with my approach?  How can that be done?

Many thanks in advance,

     Andi