logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] benefit of --drive-on-left

From Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl on Thu Jul 12 12:56:20 BST 2012

There is one cosmetic difference I have noticed. The roundabout junction
diagram in the top left of the Garmin screen always reflects the
drive-on-left/drive-on-right mode. If I compile a map for the UK without
"drive-on-left", the spoken and written routing instructions are correct
(so turning right at a roundabout will be "take third exit") but the
little icon will reflect taking the roundabout in an anti-clockwise
direction.

Another reason for using it is for motorway exits. If you have a fork
between (for example) two motorway_links you can normally assume (as a
heuristic) that the left fork (driving on the left) is the "exit" and
the right fork is "straight on".

If neither drive-on-left nor drive-on-right is specified, mkgmap uses
the first roundabout it encounters to work it out.This COULD go wrong,
although it is unlikely. The bounding box for the UK includes bits of
France so it may depend on what the splitter puts in the first tile.
Just in case it is good to have a way of setting this explicitly.

Colin