logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Discussion in Talk-DE about Garmin-maps and their consumers

From aighes osm at aighes.de on Thu Jul 5 12:39:58 BST 2012

Am 05.07.2012 11:43, schrieb Lambertus:
> Hello Henning,
>
> I tried to follow the discussion but my German isn't good enough to
> understand all the details and Google translate is awkward. I don't know
> if I can really contribute to the discussion.
>
> Do I understand correctly that some commentators fear that e.g. my
> service stops because it's mostly a one-man operation? What are the
> proposed solutions to that?
>
> Thanks.
The main issue is, that many users doesn't find our maps, because they
are "hidden". There is only the wiki-list, but this list isn't quite
usable to normal people. The "fear" is only a minor problem.

So there were two ideas how to fix this issue.

1)
Have a prominent website (linked e.g. by openstreetmap.de), which
contains information to all available maps and guide the user to the
map, he is looking for. User could watch a screenshot an read the main
explanations to the map and then will be linked to download-website of
the map or directly to the download.

2)
Set up a powerful renderserver, who renders several maps OnDemand
(inclusive caching of course) and deliver several mapstylings to the
user directly. This service will also be linked e.g. by openstreetmap.de.

So you are offering such a OnDemand-Service. So it would be great to
have your opinion how powerful such a server has to be and how is your
user-feedback.

Henning