logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Province names

From WanMil wmgcnfg at web.de on Wed Jun 20 16:28:59 BST 2012

Hi Nils,

> I am trying to make a map that uses the English names for provinces in
> SE Asia. The province shown on my Zumo for POIs in Bangkok is a
> "Latinized" กรุงเทพมหานคร rather than "Bangkok" from the name:en tag. The
> relation in question (92277/6) is tagged name=กรุงเทพมหานคร and
> name:en=Bangkok. I use the --latin option when I compile the map.
> I extract boundaries with:
> bin\Osmosis.bat --rb asia.osm.pbf --tf accept-ways
> boundary=administrative --tf accept-relations boundary=administrative
> --used-node --write-pbf boundaries.osm.pbf omitmetadata=true

I am not sure but I think your osmosis call is not 100% correct. I keeps
only relations tagged with boundary=administrative and the ways tagged
with boundary=administrative. If a relation contains a way not tagged
with boundary=administrative it is thrown away. Please have a look at
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mkgmap/help/options#Using_precompiled_bounds_for_the_address_index
where the correct osmosis call is documented (you can omit the
postal_code things).

> I compile boundaries with:
> java -ea -Xmx1000m -jar mkgmap/mkgmap.jar
> --createboundsfile=boundaries.osm.pbf --location-autofill=bounds
> name-tag-list=name:en,name
> What am I doing wrong?

Looks good to me.

> Do the tags on the boundaries play a role or are only the tags on the
> relations used?

If the relation is tagged only the tags on the relation are used.

> What would be the way to check all admin4 boundaries' tags in SE Asia?
> The boundaries seem to be tagged inconsistent.

You can create a tag listing of all boundaries contained in the
precompiled bounds:
java -jar mkgmap.jar
uk.me.parabola.mkgmap.reader.osm.boundary.BoundaryLister <boundsdir>

WanMil