logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Overview map

From Felix Hartmann extremecarver at gmail.com on Tue Jun 19 17:02:52 BST 2012

Well it's a long time since the last commit to the overview branch, but
it would be very great if we could get a working overview map...
Why is there a need for it?
- Well currently most people build mkgmap maps down to resolution 16,
using map information, else in Mapsource/Basecamp/Qlandkarte there is
simply not enough zoomout/speed possible for maps covering bigger regions.
However, on the GPS this means, that the much quicker loading and better
suited overview map will be used too late (with mkgmap trunk default
style, I'm not sure if it is used at all, because there is no "empty"
resolution).

Also this would help everyone who is running out of levels, and hence
has to make a compromise in the number of levels - as the max number of
8 levels (0-7) is not really enough if you would like to show a nice map
when zoomed out very far on the desktop.

The old overview branch, had, IMHO the main problem, of not being
configurable. It would be great if the overview map could be created
using the following scheme:

1.
a)Create a completly new lines, polygons, points, relations and options
style-file so one can specify what goes into the overview map.
e.g. lines.overview; polygons.overview;

or
b) alternatively, just change the format of the options file to
something like:
levels = 0:24, 1:22, 2:21, 3:20, 4:19, 5:18, 6:16
levels_overview= 0:16, 1:14, 2:12, 3:10

I think b) is more practical, as it allows to more quickly change the
level of detail for the overview map as it shouldn't become too big. So
e.g. if you create a map of Europe you use the above figures, but if you
create a map of a small country/region like e.g. Austria, you could
change it to
levels = 0:24, 1:22, 2:21, 3:20, 4:19, 5:18
levels_overview= 0:18, 1:16, 2:14, 3:12, 4:10

2. Add an additional parameter for the douglas-peucker algorythm. As for
the overview map, there neeeds to be very strong filtering - though I
don't know the size limit for an overview map.

3. Maybe, as for the coastline/sea and boundary information, mkgmap
could use a drastically  reduced dataset, to help speed up the map
creation, and make it easier to fix things.

------------

A nice example of an overview map, is included in the Topo Hispania. It
has the following levels:
0:16, 1:15, 2:14, 3:13, 4:11, 5:10
(with level 5 being empty) -- the normal map files have 0:24, 1:23,
2:22, 3:21, 4:18, 5:16, 6:14 (with level 6 being empty)
Even though it is only 186KB big, it has quite a lot of information of
Spain in it.  For everyone not wanting to download the full topohispania
(v2) I uploaded it to openmtbmap.org/topohispania.img
It would be great, if mkgmap could produce something similar (though of
course it will be more difficult, with changing data - though point 3
could help to give us the same quality).
(note tophispania.img may not be used commercially/sold)