logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] how to make address search aware of the Canadian provinces?

From Ben Konrath ben at bagu.org on Tue May 22 20:58:36 BST 2012

Hi,

I'm generating a map of Canada with this command:

java -jar mkgmap/dist/mkgmap.jar --latin1 --gmapsupp --min-size-polygon \
  --series-name="OSM Canada" --family-name="OpenStreetMap Canada 08 May 2012" \
  --index --location-autofill=bounds,is_in,nearest --bounds=bounds
--add-pois-to-areas \
  --pois-to-areas-placement="entrance=main;entrance=yes;building=entrance" \
  --check-roundabout-flares --route --remove-short-arcs
--drive-on-right --check-roundabouts \
  --family-id=34244 --product-id=1 --road-name-pois \
  --generate-sea="extend-sea-sectors,multipolygon,floodblocker"
--make-all-cycleways \
  -c template.args --description="OSM Canada"

I'd like to know if it's possible to get the address search to be
aware of the provinces. For example, on the built-in map of my Nuvi
255w, the GPS "knows" that I'm in Ontario and gives me the option to
change the 'state/country'. Here's a screenshot that shows this
behaviour:

http://bagu.org/scratch/nuvi-255w-address-search-builtin-map.bmp

With the mkgmap generated maps, the GPS only "knows" that I'm in
Canada. Here's a screenshot showing this behaviour:

http://bagu.org/scratch/nuvi-255w-address-search-mkgmap-osm-map.bmp

I've added these lines to the points, lines and polygons style files
to setup the Canadian boundaries:

# Canada = CAN
mkgmap:country=CAN & mkgmap:region!=* & mkgmap:admin_level4=* { set
mkgmap:region='${mkgmap:admin_level4}' }
mkgmap:country=CAN & mkgmap:city!=* & mkgmap:admin_level8=* { set
mkgmap:city='${mkgmap:admin_level8}' }

Side note: I can make a patch to the default style with these lines if
people are interested in having this included with mkgmap.

Does anybody know how I can get the GPS to be aware of the province
with my mkgmap generated map?

Thanks, Ben