logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Problem with splitter

From Wolfgang Hammel wolfgang.hammel at gmx.de on Thu Mar 15 00:15:12 GMT 2012

Hi Gerd,

my first thought was also in the direction of option 2)
but yes you are right, the administrative boundaries and the coastlines
may blow up
the tiles a lot and that may probably also increase processing time in
mkgmap afterwards.
Option 3) would be the most precise one but I don't know anything about
splitter's
internal structure, and this may be complicated and a lot of work because
splitter seems to have no interpretetation of the data it processes up
to now.

But what about the following option which is a combination of your
proposals no. 2) and 3) without the need for an additional file.

Enhance splitter in a way that it includes all the ways of a
multipolygon that finds its way
into the output of a certain tile.
But for the ways it would have dropped up to now only the first and last
nodes are written
to the output. As these ways always have no node inside the tile, this
woud give
exactly the same data to mkgmap after the polygons have been clipped by the
tile's bounding rectangle.
The clipping procedure can be done in mkgmap without guessing any
missing data.
So this would increase the tile size only by a small amout and we have
all the data
we need in the tile.
But in order to give a consistent and correct osm-data file the
references to the
dropped nodes should be removed from those ways.
Otherwise we have the same situation as now where the relation of a
multipolygon contains "dead" references
to the ways that are not included in the tile's file.
As I did not have a look at splitter's code up to now, I'm not sure if this
can be easily implemented.

By the way:
I tried to create a minimal working example where the problem can be
reproduced.
But this is not finished up to now. What I already know is that
splitter's algorithm
does not consequently drop all the ways that are outside the tile's
boundaries.
Maybe you know more details about the criteria splitter uses for
dropping ways?

Wolfgang