logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] gpx track files do not work on routable maps

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Thu Mar 8 11:49:54 GMT 2012

On Thu, Mar 08, 2012 at 10:33:16AM +0000, Eric Fernandez wrote:
>>>Marko: I have seen in the archives that you also reported that the
>>>base map interfered with navigation on the Edge 705! Have you been
>>>able to better understand the issue and correct it?
>>
>> No, I was satisfied with my hypothesis (that the OSM data was to be
>> blamed; there was a 'routing island').
>
>Could be  worth it to try, but again you cannot do it anymore.

Well, I can still update the map on the device.

>The only issue I see with it:
>- a smartphone is not as rugged as a GPS device like the Edge. I am
>aware of mounts and casings, but they are certainly not ideal

The SonyEricsson Xperia Active is not that bad. It might be the only
outdoors-proof smartphone that supports ANT+Sport sensors. The GPS might
be a little less accurate than the Edge 705, but I have yet to do an
apples-to-apples comparison. (The reception will probably be much worse
in a jacket pocket than on the bicycle handlebars.) I will install the
SportyPal handlebar mount soon.

>- battery life is really too short on a smartphone. A Nexus S using GPS
>has low autonomy compared to the Edge.

That is easily fixed by using a charger that connects to a bicycle
dynamo hub. I have used such a setup for 3 years now, and never ran out
of juice, even on multi-day trips.

>Ideally, we would need proper GPS units that can accept not only OSM
>but also external routing applications. Do you know any of them?

No.

	Marko