logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] gpx track files do not work on routable maps

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Mon Mar 5 20:16:19 GMT 2012

On Mon, Mar 05, 2012 at 07:38:36PM +0000, Steve Ratcliffe wrote:
>Do you mean that on the edge you can use the track as a route and that
>fails, or that any route you try to follow is broken by the presence of
>the track?

The Edge 705 can 'navigate' or 'display' a GPX track. I have usually
used the 'display' setting. I do not remember that 'navigate' would be
broken. It just takes some time to calculate the route along the track.
Could it be that some way segment is missing or unrouteable on the map?

The Edge 705 can also display a 'virtual partner' and a 'activity tcx'
(or was it 'course tcx'?) on the map. That one would use turning prompts
that are embedded in the file, as far as I understand. I have used this
TCX feature only a couple of times. On longer bicycle trips, I had the
Edge display a downloaded GPX route on the map and let it calculate a
route (car, shortest distance), mainly out of curiosity. The bicycle
routing only works well for a few kilometers of distance.

The Edge 705 is my only Garmin device. Its main use case was recording
routes. Last November, the USB interface broke, and I could not figure
out how to save routes directly to the SD card. I got a SonyEricsson
Xperia Active as a replacement. The GPS sensor feels a little less
accurate, and the offline routing on OsmAnd has a long way to go. Once
the snow melts and I can do longer bicycle trips, I might still use the
Edge for navigation.

Best regards,

	Marko