logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Merging back the performance branch

From Gerd Petermann gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Sun Mar 4 16:01:10 GMT 2012

Hi WanMil,

> Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2012 16:28:12 +0100
> From: wmgcnfg at web.de
> To: mkgmap-dev at lists.mkgmap.org.uk
> Subject: [mkgmap-dev] Merging back the performance branch
>
> Hi Gerd,
>
> in your opinion what is the current status of the performance branch?
> There seem to be no more fundamental changes so I would like to focus on
> merging it back to the trunk. Additional improvements can then be
> applied to the trunk.

well, r2234 doesn't contain all patches that I've posted. Do you plan to add them?

My latest version contains another big change regarding Tags and StyledConverter.
I'd like to change the Rule evaluation in a way that it will allow to skip many rules
that are now partly evaluated.
Up to now my changes are saving maybe 5% - 10 %, but I hope to see more.
I don't think that this will be done soon.

I have an idea how splitArea() could be changed to be much faster, but no algorithm
yet. I believe that we don't need any Area.intersect() calculations for that, we
just have to split a few lines.

> The performance improvements are great. Before merging back I would like
> to invite people (and give them the chance) to test it carefully. For
> this I will upload the complete world bounds so that anyone can participate.

good. I can't believe that so many changes do not contain any bugs:-)

>  From my point of view the following things must be done before merging
> back:
> * Remove several System.out printouts. Please use the mkgmap internal
> logging system.
> * One note to the logging system: Instead of using
>     log.info("There were "+n+" results")
>    better use
>     log.info("There were", n, "results")
>    This avoids string creation in case the log message is not logged.

okay, I will change that.

> * Please check the code with FindBugs or something similar

okay, I wasn't aware that this tool is for free :-)

> * Is the source code well documented?

hard to say. I tend to comment only those lines that implement
a tricky solution. Everything else should be self-documenting.

> * Is the licence header added to all classes?
What would the right one?

> * The BoundaryPreparer uses options like "preparer-out-dir". Are these
> options documented? The name should be more specific (e.g. bounds-out-dir).
okay

Gerd