logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Merging back the performance branch

From WanMil wmgcnfg at web.de on Sun Mar 4 15:28:12 GMT 2012

Hi Gerd,

in your opinion what is the current status of the performance branch?
There seem to be no more fundamental changes so I would like to focus on
merging it back to the trunk. Additional improvements can then be
applied to the trunk.

The performance improvements are great. Before merging back I would like
to invite people (and give them the chance) to test it carefully. For
this I will upload the complete world bounds so that anyone can participate.

 From my point of view the following things must be done before merging
back:
* Remove several System.out printouts. Please use the mkgmap internal
logging system.
* One note to the logging system: Instead of using
    log.info("There were "+n+" results")
   better use
    log.info("There were", n, "results")
   This avoids string creation in case the log message is not logged.
* Please check the code with FindBugs or something similar
* Is the source code well documented?
* Is the licence header added to all classes?
* The BoundaryPreparer uses options like "preparer-out-dir". Are these
options documented? The name should be more specific (e.g. bounds-out-dir).

WanMil