logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Serious Bug - Mkgmap creating map that puts news GPS (confirmed etrex 30, Oregon 550) into bootloop

From Felix Hartmann extremecarver at gmail.com on Fri Feb 24 12:12:06 GMT 2012

Well I increased the maxnodes for the splitter, and even though the two
tiles in the bay of Biscay, remained unchanged, it works without
problems on my GPS now. The big problem remains, that for some countries
with maxnodes 800000 I run into too large files, while for France
(opposite side of the coin -- have a look into your maps of Europe - the
smallest tiles will all be in France) with maxnodes 2400000 it compiles
fine.
I tried before with default style-file, and the map also crashed the GPS.

So there is indeed the main problem, that the tiles become too small,
and miss some information that they should include. Maybe somehow
related to the POI index stuff??

I think the only real way out of it, would be to somehow merge mkgmap
and mgkmap splitter functionality (e.g. somehow take into account the
style-file for the splitters maxnode calculation). Or change mkgmap in
such a way, that if a tile cannot be compiled because it is too big, it
would automatically be split, and recompiled (but using a mapname that
doesn't conflict...).