logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] edge 705 stuck with cities index

From Eric Fernandez zeb at zebulon.org.uk on Tue Feb 21 16:22:01 GMT 2012

2012/2/21 Steve Ratcliffe <steve at parabola.me.uk>:
> Hi
> I might have found it, or at least part of the problem.
> In your map there are 10 cities without a name, created from polygons.
>
> Since there are around 500 cities in the map, this is closer to 1 in 50
> than 1 in 10-20 so might not be everything -- do you see more than 10 or
> is it possible that is the total number of blank lines?
>
> It does include the two example you gave however. Both these are place=*
> polygons, with place_name instead of name.
>
> You probably can and should try to use the place_name tag to give
> the name, but I think that we should also prevent any unnamed cities
> from getting into the map file.
>
> ..Steve

Many thanks,

I am going to regenerate the map as you suggest.

Regarding the frequency, it can indeed be lower than what I reported.
I cannot ascertain the total number of cities without a name on the
Edge, since the nearest city list is limited in number, and thus the
frequency of these blank cities is biased (possibly higher in South
Oxford).

The best solution would indeed be to prevent unnamed cities to appear
in the map file. The fact that the Edge 705 freezes when index is
activated is not clear either, but I am pretty sure that without these
blank lines there would be no issue. In the source, I saw that the
build up of the city list may be related to the MdrBuilder.java file,
but am not entirely sure.

Kind regards,
Eric