logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] edge 705 stuck with cities index

From Eric Fernandez zeb at zebulon.org.uk on Fri Feb 17 09:58:09 GMT 2012

Hi,

I successfully created OSM maps of great britain for my Edge 705. I
create the img file with --index and use bounds either I created
myself using osmosis or from precompiled (from navmaps.eu).

The Edge 705 loads the img map correctly and address search is working
properly. However, when accessing the function "Cities", which lists
the closest cities, the Edge freezes for 1 or 2 minutes before
displaying cities (ordered by distance from current location). What I
noticed is that between some cities names there are also blank lines,
as if there were blank entries in the cities list. Scrolling the
cities list (which may be possible after 1-2 minutes of freeze) is
faster when there are none of these blank lines, which may suggest
they are responsible for the problem. But when one of these blank
cities appears, then the Edge freezes again. Disabling --index solves
the problem, but address search is not available then.

Furthermore, some cities are listed under GBR, but many others belong
to "Country" with a tag "ABC". Is that an OSM tagging problem?

Has anyone noticed this? I would be happy to help diagnose the
problem, what is your advice?

Many thanks,
Eric