logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] How to split polygons into boundary relations with common ways?

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Fri Jan 27 07:28:57 GMT 2012

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 02:27:24PM -0800, Apollinaris Schoell wrote:
>>Right, ogr2osm should be one of them. I guess I will have to go back
>>from osm to shape format and then try my luck with these converters.

osm2shp was good enough for my needs. I liked the simple configuration
by editing some C functions. Then, ogr2osm processed the shape file.

>>Do you know if there is any shape file converter that would merge
>>nearby nodes to a single OSM node id? In this data set, adjacent areas
>>sometimes have nodes in almost the same position. This should be a
>>problem in the original dataset and not a coordinate transformation
>>artefact, because a transformation could map multiple points to one
>>point, but not vice versa.
>
>never found any good solution for merging points or simplify except Josm

I played with JOSM Validator. It did detect some (but not all) problems
when I deleted the boundary relations and set highway=service on all
lines.

There might be some solution outside the OSM domain. The thread starter
is the guy who converted the data set that I am processing:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gis.jump.devel/10457

Hopefully, this solution will help the import of other suburb
boundaries. I am testing with the suburbs of my home town only.

Best regards,

	Marko