logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Wiki page about TYP files

From Steve Ratcliffe steve at parabola.me.uk on Tue Jan 24 12:51:30 GMT 2012

Nick

> I meant that the error messages in the past were very helpful - particularly
> the line number refs - but for some may  need to be explained more fully in
> a help file.

Oh OK, I missunderstood, sorry .

> Now I don't get any msgs eventhough the code may be incorrect, ie

This is strange -- I do get errors for all these cases.

> xpm="32 5 2 1"
> "0 c #C0C0C0"
> "1 c #000000"
> "12345611111111111111111111111111"
> "00000000000000000000000000000000"

I get the error: Compiling TYP txt file: Error: (t.txt:20): Tag '2' is
not one of the defined colour pixels

The term 'Tag' may be non-standard or incorrect and I'd be glad to
replace the word with a more standard one.

If the point was that there are not enough lines I get the error:
Compiling TYP txt file: Error: (t.txt:21): xpm bitmap line must start
with a quote: [end]

This message could be expanded to explain that the most likely problem
is that there is not enough image lines.

> xpm="32 5 2 1"
> "0 c #C0C0C0"
> "1 c #000000"
> "1111111111111111111111111"
> "00000000000000000000000000000000000"
>
> In cases when characters in a line do not match the xpm the typ file is
> simply not created,
> leaving the poor creator in a state of 'utter confusion' ;)

I get an error for the first line which is too short:
Compiling TYP txt file: Error: (t.txt:21): short image line:
"1111111111111111111111111"

After repairing that line, there is indeed no error for the line that
is too long. The extra data is just ignored so it isn't an error as
far as the compiler is concerned, but probably should be checked since
it is probably not what the creator intended.

> I suppose it is a matter of debate/size of jar as to how essential error
> msgs are.

I'm happy to add any error message that is likely to happen, I don't
think jar size is an issue for this.

..Steve