logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] How to create the bounds for europe ?

From WanMil wmgcnfg at web.de on Fri Jan 20 19:39:48 GMT 2012

> On Sun, Jan 08, WanMil wrote:
>
>> that's fine. I noticed that the parameters for osmfilter described in
>> the wiki did not include postalcode information. I've updated the wiki.
>> So if you require postal codes please reload the wiki page.
>
> While it is no problem to generate the europe bounds files as described
> on the wiki page, I always run out of memory for the world files.
>
> Does somebody know how much memory is necessary?
>
>   Thanks,
>      Thorsten

Hi Thorsten,

I don't know how. But you don't need to create the bounds from a world file.
It is possible to create the bounds for several overlapping subareas and
to merge the bounds files afterwards. The areas must be selected in such
a way that each country is completely contained at least in one subarea.
Usually I am compiling 5 subareas: europe, africa, america, asia and
australia-oceania.

After you have the bounds files of your subareas you can merge them
using the command:
java -cp mkgmap.jar
uk.me.parabola.mkgmap.reader.osm.boundary.BoundaryMerger <bounds1>
<bounds2> <merge>
where the parameters in <> are directories. So in the upper command the
dir bounds1 and bounds2 are merged together in directory merge.

WanMil