logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Generating location bounds info from shape file?

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Thu Jan 12 20:09:09 GMT 2012

On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 06:55:35PM +0100, Gerd Petermann wrote:
>I am not sure about your goal. do you mean that you want to evaluate
>the data in the shape file by creating an *.img with it?

I would like to import the equivalent of boundary=administrative
relations from shape file(s) to mkgmap, for generating the address
search index with accurate city or region boundaries. The
boundary=administrative data for Finland in OSM is incomplete, and it
would be quite a bit of work to import the recently freed official data
to OSM.

I do not care that much if the boundaries are shown on the map.  What I
mostly care about is that streets will be associated with the correct
region, city or suburb.

In the long term, I think that the boundary data does belong to OSM. So,
if importing the boundaries in a different format is too complicated, I
guess we will have to bite the bullet and import them to OSM.

	Marko