logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] gmapsupp + index and Berlin/Friedrichstr.

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Thu Jan 12 19:58:17 GMT 2012

On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 03:30:57PM +0100, Martin Simon wrote:
>2012/1/11 Steve Ratcliffe <steve at parabola.me.uk>:
>>> OK, I now also tried to modify the command line, feeding mkgmap
>>> individual tiles, plus the overview-map.img of each layer, too.
>>> Now all layers are present in the gmapsupp.img, but I lost all layer
>>> names, .TYP files and the search index.
>>
>> You should include just the individual tiles and the typ files, but not the
>> overview files or the mdx,mdr files.
>>
>> The --index option will create the index.
>
>That doesn't work - no index seems to be created, the search function
>on the device doesn't work.
>
>Are you sure that mkgmap builds the index when the input files are
>.img? I tried again with fewer tile, and other options, but nothing
>seems to have an effect.

For me, mkgmap --index --gmapsupp will generate a working index out of
individual *.img tiles, but only if they belong to a single family-id,
generated from splitter output using the default style. If I try to
combine multiple map layers (the other layers cover the whole Finland,
for various route relations using the route-* styles), I get a
non-working index (no streets found).

To be more specific, if I edit the osm2img.sh script at
http://www.polkupyoraily.net/osm/ so that I just add --index before
--gmapsupp, it will not work. If I only pass the 63240*.img to the
command, it will work.

By the way, --index is very useful for data validation.  I already
corrected a few name=?, name=xx and name=fix* and some typos in
non-Finnish street names, searching for names starting with b, c, d, f,
g, q, w, x, z.

	Marko