logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] LocationHook and tagging ways

From GerdP gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Mon Jan 9 14:01:52 GMT 2012

Hi list,

as discussed before, the current implementation of LocationHook produces
somehow unpredictable results when it locates ways that cross boundaries.
A correct solution would be to split the way, but according to WanMil this
would be very slow.
So, with bad luck, we may find a way with 100 points in a boundary that
contains only one of them.

While thinking about a test for my optimized version I wondered why we put
all points of a way into the quadtree, and not only one (e.g. the 1st, the
last, or the one in the middle).
Using only one point makes the quadtree much smaller and faster, and the
result is (almost) as correct as before.
I see only one problem: If the way crosses boundaries, one of the boundaries
may contain better information (more complete) than the other(s). If we
chose the "wrong" point for searching, we may find only the incomplete
information.